Boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya may not have entered the boxing ring professionally for almost a decade, but the ageing veteran pugilist believes he will certainly be able to knock out the UFC lightweight champion turned one-time professional boxer.
Speaking on Golden Boy Radio, De La Hoya announced he had been training to fight the Irish mixed martial arts star and had challenged him to a fight in the ring.
“I’ve been secretly training, secretly training,” De La Hoya said during the interview. “I’m faster than ever and stronger than ever. I know I can take out Conor McGregor in two rounds. I’ll come back for that fight. … Two rounds. Just one more [fight]. I’m calling him out. Two rounds, that’s all I need.”
“Golden Boy” last fought against in the ring back in December 2008 against Manny Pacquiao, a bout he lost after being unable to come out of his corner for the ninth round. He now believes he will be able to destroy McGregor in just two short rounds, despite an age gap of fifteen years between the two combat sports stars.
It is interesting to hear that De La Hoya has been training to fight McGregor, given how critical he was of the Irishman’s match up with veteran boxing legend Floyd “Money” Mayweather when it was announced back in May.
De La Hoya wrote back then on his Facebook that a fight between Mayweather and McGregor would be bad for boxing on the world stage, and that it could, in fact, kill the sport entirely.
“But if you thought Mayweather/Pacquiao was a black eye for our sport—a matchup between two of the best pound-for-pound fighters that simply didn’t deliver—just wait until the best boxer of a generation dismantles someone who has never boxed competitively at any level—amateur or professional. Our sport might not ever recover.”
Given that McGregor may not be returning to the cage anytime soon now that he has been pulled from the UFC’s 219 event after igniting a whirlwind of controversy at Bellator 187 over the weekend… anything is possible.
McGregor stormed the cage while watching his friend and teammate Charlie Ward knockout Irish mixed martial artist John Redmond, slapping an official as he jumped over the cage wall, and later pushing referee Marc Goddard in the back as he attended to Redmond, who still lay on the ground.
Could this time out of the octagon mean McGregor might be available to fight De La Hoya or is it all a lot of hot air from the ageing boxer? Check out the interview below and let us know your thoughts in the comments!
🎙@OscarDeLaHoya has been secretly training and says he only needs two rounds to knockout @TheNotoriousMMA pic.twitter.com/CFiHEqrXLX
— Conor McGregor News (@ConormcGregor5) November 13, 2017